As Seen On...
Forbes Best of the Web Summer 2005
View Press Release

Site search Web



Archives

Previous Posts

Links






Monday, July 11, 2005

Doomed: How Id Lost its Crown



Doomed: How Id Lost its Crown

"Maybe I’m crazy, but I recall levels in the original Doom where you were downright encouraged to trick the A.I. into fighting itself. Yes, it was a primitive A.I., but I recall being impressed by it. Hell, even the famed Reaperbot for the original Quake is still 10 times more entertaining than fighting drones in Doom 3.

I guess what it all boils down to is the fact that the gameplay is just too simplified for the graphics. It’s hard to stomach having to shoot a zombie in the head the same number of times as in the body (six rounds from a pistol, thanks for asking) to dispatch it, when you can shoot a light fixture and watch how realistically light dances around the room.

And don’t try justifying it with 'well, the zombies obviously aren’t powered by brains, because there’s some zombies without heads,' because you can still kill them by shooting them in the jaw six times. I’m sure they’d also die if I shot them in the foot six times, but honestly, I’m just too bored with the game to even try." [more]


Post a Comment



Subscribe in NewsGator Online
eXTReMe Tracker